domingo, 20 de septiembre de 2015

sugerencia





One of the methods I picked up that helps when I'm dealing with teaching cases like this one to the AEGD, VA, and Oral Surgery residents comes from people like Steve Jobs, Carmine Gallo and Nancy Duarte (all heavily mired in their day in presentation methodology). They focus on presenting in packets, usually three items at the most.

So whenever I discuss oral ulcerative diseases, I break it down first into broad concepts/categories:
 - isolated oral ulcerations
 - disseminated oral ulcerative disease
 - oral and systemic ulcerative disease

I then break isolated oral ulcers into:
 - traumatic/iatrogenic
 - autoimmune/immunogenic and autoinflammatory
 - infectious

Disseminated oral ulcers into:
 - infectious
 - dermatologic (and then I start with lichen planus, pemphigus, pemphigoid)
 - manifestations of systemic disease

Systemic disorders:
 - granulomatous (infectious, autoimmune and foreign body reactions)
 - dermatologic (repeats the discussion of LP etc.)
 - cancer

It's not a perfect system, but I find starting with broad concepts and categories helps the learners adapt to the details when we get to them.


I treat this like fluoride... best in low doses and high frequency.


Recommended Reading (for presentation style):

Gallo C. Talk Like TED
Gallo C. The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs [in progress]
Duarte N. resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
Duarte N. Slide:ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations

That's my 2 cents...

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario